Saturday, June 18, 2011

Learning Unit #1 Reflections

My first learning unit was used with sixth grade math, studying transformations (i.e. rotations, translations and reflections). When I first started this unit, I thought that I would have the most difficulty with the screen casting. I wasn't sure how I was going to utilize that tool with my project. Once I started playing with the tool, I had the idea of using a website that is used as an introduction to transformations. The site allows users to create examples of each type of transformation. I thought this would be a great way for students to use screen casting. They are able to practice what a transformation is, while showing me if they have mastered the concept with screen casting. I really like this tool. I can use it as a form of assessment with students.

Using Scratch for this unit I also liked. This is also a form of assessment I can use to see if my students understand what a rotation, translation and reflection are.

I also liked the Quizstar website. I really loved that I was able to import pictures that showed different transformations. I used the Paint program to create the pictures, and uploaded them to the quiz. That is defiantly a quiz I would give to my students. Also, I like that I can have my students create quizzes. Again, they are applying and demonstrating to me what they know and understand about transformations.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the unit was well done and the information was presented to help simplify everything for the students. The screencasting, I thought, is a great things for students first learning tranformations to use.

    ReplyDelete